Wendi Peters' lettuce, walnut and raisin cake
Wendi's fruity cake with a twist will impress your Bake it Better guests and get them trying something new!
I know this sounds really strange but carrot cake must have sounded just as weird when we first became aware of it! I've been messing about and adapting this for a couple of years and I really love it ... it has a real earthy taste to it and is so moist and keeps really well in an airtight tin for about 5 days (if it lasts that long!)
- 200g plain flour
- 2 tsps baking powder
- 1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tsp ground mixed spice
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 200g light brown sugar
- 150 ml vegetable oil
- 3 medium eggs
- 2 tsps vanilla extract
- 140g iceberg lettuce (finely shredded)
- 100g raisins
- 60g walnuts (chopped)
- Icing sugar to decorate
1. Preheat oven to 180C/170C fan
2. Grease and flour a 20cm by 30cm tray bake baking tin (shallow)
3. In a large bowl, mix together the flour, baking powder, bicarb of soda, salt, mixed spice and cinnamon.
4. Stir in the sugar and mix well, removing any lumps.
5. In a medium bowl, whisk together the veg oil, eggs and vanilla extract.
6. Pour onto the dry ingredients and stir until just combined.
7. Add the lettuce, raisins and walnuts and mix until everything is evenly combined.
8. Spoon into the prepared tin and spread evenly.
9. Bake for 30-35 minutes until it springs back when lightly touched in the centre or a skewer comes out clean.
10. Leave to cool and then remove from tin.
11. Make up some runny icing with icing sugar and water and drizzle over.
12. Sprinkle with chopped walnuts to decorate.