Gift Aid

Make your donation to Great Ormond Street Hospital Children's Charity worth a quarter more with Gift Aid declaration.

How does Gift Aid work?

Gift Aid is a government scheme which enables registered charities in the United Kingdom to claim the tax back from the HMRC on donations.

If you are currently a UK taxpayer and you fill out a Gift Aid declaration when you make a donation, we can claim back 25p for every £1 that you donate.

Once you have signed your Gift Aid declaration it is valid for all gifts in the future, and for any gifts you have made to us in the four years prior to signing the declaration.

Please be advised that Gift Aid cannot be claimed on donations made on behalf of a group or a collection.

To declare all the donations you have made in the last four years, and any you may give in the future that are eligible for Gift Aid, please contact our Supporter services on 020 3841 3841 or at

Alternatively, please download, complete and return the Gift Aid form (.pdf) (46.5 KB).

In detail

If you are a UK taxpayer and would like Great Ormond Street Hospital Children’s Charity to reclaim tax on the donations made in the last four years and any future giving you decide to take part in, you must first understand that if you pay less income or capital gains tax than the amount claimed on all donations in that tax year (April 6 – April 5) it is your responsibility to pay any difference. Please note that Gift Aid cannot be claimed by one individual on monies collected from multiple donors. e.g. birthday collections.

Please notify the charity if you want to cancel this declaration, change your name or full home address, no longer pay sufficient tax on your income or capital gains. If you are a higher rate taxpayer you can claim personal tax relief via a self-assessment tax return or ask HM Revenue and customs to adjust your tax code.

You can make a declaration and join the scheme by post or by email, or you can call 020 3841 3131 to make a declaration. You will have 30 days to cancel, if necessary, before a claim is made. You are able to cancel at any time after that, should your circumstances change.

You can read the HMRC's full guidelines here.